Wednesday, May 21, 2008

You Only Get What You Give

I believe in the loose definition of karma (I'm not going to go into all the religious ideas). I believe you reap what you sow to a great extent; "what goes around, comes around", and all that jazz.
So the best way to get what you want in life is to give it. If it sounds too easy, it is. Let me explain.

Often people will complain their boyfriend doesn't buy them flowers and they really want flowers. Now there are a number of things you can do. 1) You can buy them for yourself (you look special walking home with them, they look exactly the same once in the vase and you get exactly the type you want). 2) You can ask for them (very simple and effective!). Or 3) you can give them to someone first. Ok, I admit it sounds odd, but it's a nice thing to do.

First off, I should mention that I believe the spirit is giving is about not expecting anything back. That's a true gift. You give it because you wanted to and expect ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in return. But sometimes, you can throw gifts to the universe just to see what happens. Why not? It can't hurt.

So instead of sulking and saying, "I want, I want, I want! I NEVER get!", why not go out and give? For those in heterosexual partnerships, you're probably saying, "what? Buy my MAN flowers??!! No way!". Honestly though, forget all that. I've given many men flowers and they all appreciated them because they all thought the gesture was nice. I know of at least one occasion where a blue rose ended up dead, dry and on the floor, but he kept it. Maybe he only kept it to make me happy, but even that is still a great and kind gesture.

You will feel better giving than receiving. I promise. You'll probably also notice a lot of other nice things start coming your way. When you spend your time giving, you'll have a lot less time to sit and ruminate about how much you're missing and not getting. So if nothing else, give because it takes your mind to a better place.

Now you're probably thinking, "but I want a new car! How can I give a new car so I can get one? This is ridiculous!". Hang on!
I admit, you probably can't physically give a new car in order to get one. Yes, that is a ridiculous idea. But what can you give instead that can eventually lead you to be able to buy a new car?
Can you give a few extra hours at work? (It's not quite giving because you'd be getting paid, but you're giving your time up, which is one of the most valuable things you can give anyone)
Can you give up smoking/drinking? How about giving up that daily expensive large non-fat mocca expresso with Splenda® drink? Or the gym membership you're not using? Yes it takes time and patience, but eventually you'll have given enough that you'll get what you want.

If you really "want, want, want!" so bad, then you can focus and give, give, give until you get.
It's that simple :)


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: